Friday, February 23, 2024

WRITING THE SCRIPT (CONT’D)

 TWEAKING THE SCRIPT

The script was complete, but me and my new partner decided to rework some key aspects of the script. 

Trey’s Vocabulary 

Trey spoke with a lot of eloquence at times, which could work at our favor to really drill in the point that that Trey is estranged from his community down to the way he speaks, but at the end of the day, he’s still a child. To fix this, we replaced his some of his dialogue with lines that are more reminiscent with his age group.
Unimportant Scenes

We included a “get ready with me” scene where Trey put on his clothes, grabbed breakfast, and prepared his bike, but we decided to take it out since it wasn’t very important. We simply removed this scene from the script entirely and didn’t replace it with anything.
After reworking a few kinks, I finally developed a story for the movie. 

The Plot for Trey’s Split

Trey would embark on a journey to find common ground with the white and black communities in his city. He would do a lot of code-switching to properly converge within these spaces, causing him to lose grip of who he really is, begging the question:  just how much worth is it to conform in a world where you’re not accepted? Trey’s Split is a funny, sometimes emotional story meant to provoke thoughts and touch hearts.

Audience

My audience are the black kids who have been called white for speaking proper English. My audience are the black kids who like pop culture, but get made fun of for it. My audience are the black kids who throw away their identity to fit in with superficial people. I want this story to hit close to home to kids who struggle with themselves, and while I envision my story catering more towards black people, I would love for others of varying backgrounds to relate to Trey’s struggles, and pinpoint how wrong society is wrong about “nerds” or “Oreos”. There’s no such thing as “being too white for the Black kids” or “being too black for the White kids”, and Trey’s Split is meant to explain why.
What’s Next?
I plan to storyboard my film soon and film the following week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection