Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Trey Gets Cancelled

I had just finished walking my dog when I saw a brown package on my doorstep. Confused, I let the dog inside and scrutinized this bizarre contraption. Everything seemed true. It had my name on it. It had my address. Even my number. My heart started thumping as I ran back to my room to open this gift to unveil its contents. Without much hesitation, I opened it. I slowly entered my hand into the box with caution. I felt... a bag? Wait. IT WAS THE NAME TAGS! ngl i was disappointed lol

The next day I decided to write some names during class for the opening, and memories flushed of all the colorful names I would be called during Middle School. Cleveland (black guy from family guy), White boy, for speaking proper English, Oreo, clown, Blackest White dude, you name it. Kids were creative during Middle School, to my detriment. I wrote these insults with nostalgia followed by bursts of laughter.  Yet, none of those names amounted to the one I was the most familiar with, and a word that was loved by unfiltered pre-teens during the 2010s. "Nigger". I looked down at an empty name tag with the sharpie in-hand, reluctant. A part of me was scared to even acknowledge the word.

The word Nigger was used to torment me for who I was and where I came from, and kids back then went trigger happy with saying the word to me. Hearing the word made me feel unsafe, and it actively separated me from the other students from my school.

I am not the only one who feels this, nor am I the only victim of the word. If I really wanted to accurately portray my main character's struggle, I had to include it in the film to highlight the issue. So, I began to write down the word and felt... relieved. Once I acknowledged I felt like I overcome my trauma with the word, using it to represent others who have faced similar struggles.

If all things go according to plan, the N-word will be featured in Trey's Split to spread awareness of racial equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection